If you're a parent, you've seen it coming...
Your child gets agitated or pushed past their limit, and pretty soon, they're out of control, past the point of reason. It's such a frustrating experience! And I bet if there was something you could do to stop it, you would, right?
Listen to this episode of The Child Whisperer podcast for meltdown-minimizing tips for your unique Type of child. Life with your little one is about to get easier:
Questions to ask yourself when each Type of child melts down:
- Funloving Type 1: What is feeling too heavy or rigid in this child's world? How can I support them in keeping things light?
- Sensitive Type 2: Where is this child being rushed or feeling too much discomfort? How can I support them in knowing future plans?
- Determined Type 3: In what ways is this child feeling stifled and impeded? How can I support them in having physical outlets?
- More Serious Type 4: Where in this child's life do they perceive they're not respected? How can I support them in having enough structure?
Above all, remember: The meltdown is not the issue. A meltdown is a response to an unmet need. Rather than focusing on fixing the meltdown, take one step back. Listen to the full episode above for more insights.
(Not sure which Type of child you're raising? Get The Child Whisperer.)
Caller questions (and Carol's answers) from this episode:
- My six-year-old has consistent, screaming meltdowns. What do I do when she gets completely out of control like this? I'm tired of walking on eggshells. (Listen at 3:27)
- How do I balance my Type 3 need to get things done with my child's need for my attention? (Listen at 10:35)
- How do I help my Type 3 five-year-old who has grown angry and aggressive since the start of school? (Listen at 16:54)
- How do I help my Type 1 seventh-grader deal with friend issues? (Listen at 22:13)
- How do I best arrange my three sons in bedrooms? Two boys are Type 1 and one is a Type 4. (Listen at 26:22)
- How do I help my Type 4/3 toddler with outbursts? (Listen at 34:51)
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Thank you for listening and for striving to honor the children in your life!
Where are you stumped in your parenting? Send me your question or call in and ask me live on the air, 347-777-1963, every Monday at 1 pm MT!
Subscribe on iTunes. I guarantee if you listen, you'll get answers you need.
Join The Child Whisperer parent community! Each Facebook group connects you with other Child Whispering parents who also have the Type of child you're raising: Type 1 child, Type 2 child, Type 3 child, Type 4 childImage courtesy of Adobe Stock