Are you profiling your wounded self without knowing it?
What do I mean by "wounded self"?
The likelihood that you were shamed or disciplined for being your true self as a small child is very high! Because your parents didn't know your Energy Type, they were most likely operating on the old belief that “children should be seen and not heard.”
While, thankfully, parenting has become a much more conscious experience since then, it simply wasn’t this way during your childhood.
Being shamed for just being you starts to shut you down.
If you were disciplined for your natural inclinations and movements, you began distrusting yourself as early as age 3. You carry that shame and uncertainty to this day.
And if you've never healed your inner child, you grew up behaving in a way that protected rather than honored you.
Here's an exercise to find out if you're profiling your wounded self.
Ask yourself these 9 questions with a quick yes or no, and then take time to reflect and write out your answers in more detail:
- Do I act the way I do because it makes me feel safe in the world? Yes / No
- Do I believe people will like me better and accept me more easily if I behave the way I feel I need to? Yes / No
- At some point in my childhood, did I start to play it safe and stop being my natural self? Yes / No
- Do I feel safe and free to be myself now? Yes / No
- Have I felt that way my entire life? Yes / No
- Do I feel I have to alter the way I am depending on where I am and who I am with? Yes / No
- Do I feel I can just be myself no matter where I am or who I am with? Yes / No
- Do I feel empowered by the traits and tendencies that draw me toward a certain Energy Type? Yes / No
- Do I feel shamed and depleted by the traits and tendencies that draw me toward a certain Energy Type? Yes / No
What insights came to you?
A good sign that you're profiling your wounded self is that you feel the need to act a certain way to feel safe in this world and accepted by others. Is the way you're behaving every day a natural expression or a required one?
Remember: when you're living true to your Energy Type, you express yourself with ease, and your natural movement fulfills you. For example:
- A Type 1 person naturally feels fulfilled by being more spontaneous and light in the way they approach life.
- A Type 2 person naturally feels fulfilled by being more methodical and sensitive in the way they approach life.
- A Type 3 person naturally feels fulfilled by being more determined and assertive in the way they approach life.
- A Type 4 person naturally feels fulfilled by being more analytical and reflective in the way they approach life.
Imagine what it would feel like to express yourself freely. To not withhold your natural movement, traits, and tendencies. It's completely possible.
“I found my long-lost best friend who I haven’t seen in 40 years. I didn’t realize that I left her behind, or that I didn’t stand up for her, or how much it broke my heart. But once I did, I have had more healing, more than I have experienced my whole life. I am truly happy now from the inside out and now I am more calm and patient with people of all 4 Energy Types.”
I want you to experience what Tzofiya and thousands of other women are experiencing by coming home to your true self, living it every day with a natural ease. Discovering your Type of beauty and learning about Dressing Your Truth helps you peel back layers that are keeping you stuck and reveal the beautiful woman deep within.
I have many more supportive healing resources in my Lifestyle content to help you heal. Become a member and begin your journey to wholeness.
Resources to support you in identifying your true self: