Updated on November 2, 2022
Have you ever noticed that a salon blowout revolves around one crucial tool? Hint: It’s not the . It’s the that delivers the lift and bounce that adds salon style to your .
With the right , your blowout is easier, faster, and consistently results in the look you desire. So instead of heading out to a professional salon each time you need a blowout, why not try a do-it-yourself approach to using a ?
A home blowout with a round and the right techniques for a great DIY blowout. saves time, saves money, and is actually a lot of fun to do yourself. It’s satisfying to know you can create a stylish look anytime, anywhere. Here’s
4 Important Ways to Get a Salon-Style Bouncy Blowout
First, there are four important things you need to know. Every salon stylist is aware of these secrets, but you’ll be using them at home to create the same kind of professional look.
- Invest in a quality . Select a lightweight hand-held with a minimum of 1,500 watts of power. A that works too slowly can leave unseen moisture in the , causing it to deflate quickly and become frizzy instead of sleek.
- Use volumizing products. Add volumizing products to your routine, including root lifters and mousse. These products are the foundation of a long-lasting blowout.
- Choose the right . The right has and , with a diameter that complements the desired style of your . It glides through the gently but firmly, providing a combined effect of lifting and smoothing. See our tutorial on choosing the right .
- Practice your technique. Use proper blowout techniques, practicing to get consistent results every time.
11 Steps to Achieve A Perfect Home Blowout Using a and
No matter your , length, texture, color, or style, certain blow-drying tips are universal for everyone. This includes those with , , , , , , and , and women of all 4 Energy Types.
Everyone can start with the same basic blowout routine, then add their own unique twists to it after becoming more familiar with the steps involved.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to achieving a beautiful blowout at home:
- Start with shampooed, conditioned, or that has been thoroughly detangled. A shouldn’t be used for detangling, so either use a wide-tooth comb or do a careful, gentle detangling with your fingers.
- Add a root lifter product to the crown area of your . A root lifter works like an extra-volumizing hairspray to boost your roots and add body to your style. Spray the root lifter in five small sections at the top of the head and one small section at the back.
- Use , along the length to the tips, but don’t apply it to the roots. mousse as a partner to your root lifter, giving additional bounce to the non-root portion of your . Massage the mousse into the underneath of your
- Now flip all of your over and begin from roots to tips. Use the ‘s directional nozzle to work from root to tip on each area of the , moving in a flowing motion toward the tips. The directional nozzle allows you to control exactly where the hot falls. It prevents frizz and promotes a smooth, even finish.
- When your drying upward and away from your face and creating as it dries. Then create sections about 1½ inches thick each, for a total of four to five parted sections in two rows, top and bottom. This will help you manage your more easily and ensure nothing is missed, rather than doing it all at once. is about 90% dry, it’s time to section the and create some extra . Start with a bouffant style,
- Now you can begin with your , drying the on the bottom section first. Pull the sections downward. Ideally, you can use two round brushes for this step, leaving one in to set and cool as you begin to work on the next section. Whether you use one or two brushes, allow each section to cool on the for a couple of minutes before moving on. You’ll end up with a smoother, more salon-quality hairstyle.
- As you move to the middle sections of your . Use a motion that encourages lifting at the roots, with smoothing as you move down through the ., pull gently outward from the head with the and
- The top section is where you’ll spend most of your blowout time. Lift the top sections upward and out from the head, using the to provide a combined effect of building and directional smoothing. Try to smooth down any cowlicks and flyaways.
- When you finish the last top section, which is the front and most visible part of your , remove the when the section is dry and just beginning to cool. Add a clip to keep the in position and allow it to cool completely. This will set it in place and provide a longer-lasting lift.
- When your is totally cooled, remove any clips and gently style your using your fingers. If you still need more , you can backcomb your . Backcombing is a technique of carefully reversing the direction of brushing to add extra in strategic spots. It requires some practice to get it right. Take a look at our back combing tutorial for additional help.
- Now it’s time to add some hairspray and preserve your blowout’s freshness. In Control 3-in-1 spray provides an all-day that looks and feels natural. Follow the directions on the hairspray can and be careful not to overspray your in any one spot. You’re looking for an overall hold.
Here’s the best part of a home blowout: Done correctly, it can last for up to three days. There’s little maintenance to do until your next wash.
In the days following your initial blowout, simply examine your in the mirror each morning, add some touch-ups with your fingers and a bit of volumizing spray, and enjoy your bouncy, beautiful style.
How to Make Volumized Last
To keep your volumized day after day, it helps to build some volumizing habits. Here’s a daily volumizing routine that will allow you to get the most life out of a home blowout.
- Just before your DIY blowout, shampoo your . twice so it is super clean and ready for . Use a heat-protectant rinse-out conditioner or leave-in conditioner that matches your
- On the third day after your home blowout, add to the underside of your to promote freshness and extra bounce. Be careful not to add too much , or it could cause caking and deflation of your blowout. Use a light touch.
- Before going to bed each night, tie your into a loose topknot using a soft tie or scarf. This preserves your blowout and sets you up for great the next morning.
- Either wrap your . in a silk scarf or sleep on a silk pillowcase. This will prevent breakage and tangling, especially if you have curly or
Products Recommended for with a
Blowout tip: We recommend purchasing two round brushes for maximum efficiency. As you dry your in sections, you can leave one hairbrush in place and allow that section to cool before moving on to another section. It’s an easy technique that produces salon-quality results.
Hopefully, with these tips and product recommendations, you can have that salon-style blowout at home.